Thursday, October 7, 2010

perception of prosperity

I have many mixed feelings on the topic of prosperity. I mean, this is the world we were born into, it's what we know, it's our life. Some people have it better than others, that's just the way it is. But I'm not sure I believe that wealth, in itself, is such a terrible thing. Look at Job, he was a man of prosperity and a man of God, but, being a strong man of faith the enemy wanted a chance at him. And then look what happened, he lost everything, but still gave praise to God. I think, wealth, when we idolize it and take pride in it (the work of our hands) then it becomes a snare to our salvation.

What breaks my heart is when innocent blood is shed for more; more money, more freedom, more of this, more of that. When it's built by our hands, our human hands, the nature of our earth fathers, and their fathers. By pride, lust, wrath, greed, envy, all of those things that are abhorred by Christ. When it's built on everything opposing to God. I don't believe we have to be dirt poor to understand the love of Jesus. I don't think that having a comfortable bed to sleep in, a nice car to drive, or an air cooled/gas heated home to live in is going to determine our level of crowning in heaven. But I do believe that holding onto those things (or anything of the flesh) without the willingness to let go, will be the death of us spiritually. I believe that whole heartedly.

In revelation 3, the lukewarm church- "Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked—

And that's what I think it comes down to, we say; I am rich, have become wealthy, and have NEED OF NOTHING. But alas, we are poor and miserable, and have much need for Jesus, because only HE is enough. He had no place to lay His head, yet He graciously gives us a home. And more than that, He died so that we could live. Like a father, the ultimate Father, He gives with abundance, and still, His idea of prosperity isn't anything like we are taught because sometimes He chooses to take away. And sometimes he asks us to give it up. But He always provides what we need. And He wants us to know what it means to need Him and to understand that He really IS enough. Sometimes that means going through a loss. And it almost always hurts. But He is sufficient, we just have to remember that. It is all His, and we have Him, and He is enough.

He says we will be persecuted.

2 Timothy 3:10-12
But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.


But God is immeasurable, our minds can't even begin to comprehend.

Habakkuk 3:10
The mountains saw You and trembled; The overflowing of the water passed by. The deep uttered its voice, And lifted its hands on high.


And we may not understand how, but He has promised to provide.

1 Kings 17:12-16

So she said, “As the LORD your God lives, I do not have bread, only a handful of flour in a bin, and a little oil in a jar; and see, I am gathering a couple of sticks that I may go in and prepare it for myself and my son, that we may eat it, and die.” And Elijah said to her, “Do not fear; go and do as you have said, but make me a small cake from it first, and bring it to me; and afterward make some for yourself and your son. For thus says the LORD God of Israel: ‘The bin of flour shall not be used up, nor shall the jar of oil run dry, until the day the LORD sends rain on the earth.’” So she went away and did according to the word of Elijah; and she and he and her household ate for many days. The bin of flour was not used up, nor did the jar of oil run dry, according to the word of the LORD which He spoke by Elijah.

Praise You Lord, Maker, Yahweh, Father, King.

1 comment: