Sunday, September 12, 2010

la vida es buena

Last week was crazy. Seemed like we barely had time enough to get our home in [partial] order before the group showed up. I wasn't sure what to expect, it being our first group and all. Half of the group came to stay, the students, the other half were here as chauffeurs and visitors. The girls' grandma was able to come along and, of course, they were thrilled. It was a great weekend filled with good fellowship, delicious food, volleyball, and tons of laughter. But it ended, as everything does, and on Tuesday morning half of the crowd boarded the van and headed home. I have to say, it was a very strange feeling to be one of the ones staying. The only experiences I'd ever had here were those of a visitor. So it was new, different, kind of odd, but in a good way. It was really the first time since I've been here that it felt sort of like home. Home. I'm still unsure how my heart feels when I hear that word. Everything around me has changed. Everything looks and feels different; the air is thicker, the sun is hotter, the fruit is tastier. Not saying it's better or worse, just different, but I am growing to love it. I do miss my Oregon home; the smell of rain, mi familia, mi amigo[a]s. But for now, this is my home and I am happy.
I am learning to live communally and so far, I really enjoy it. Cooking together, praising the Lord, playing sports, talking, es muy bueno. The students are amazing and I am enjoying getting to know all of them. Sarah is a pure joy to have around and my girls absolutely adore her. Her delight in the Lord is such an encouragement to me and I am thrilled to have her with us for the next few months. Anca is equally fantastic. The girls call her their other mommy and she doesn't seem opposed. I haven't had much of a chance to really get to know her but I can tell already that I love her heart. Austin, what can I say about Austin, or rather, what can I not say. He is the guy who makes you want to sing and dance and talk the day away. His gifts are extraordinary and his heart is set on fire for Papa, I am inspired by his growth. And we have Chris, or Noobs as some of you know him. He has a kind and gentle spirit and the heart of a servant. I can already see transformation in him, from the little things like learning to make coffee and helping with housework, to taking a giant leap of faith and being baptized in Christ. And then there are Danny and David, the Romanian brothers who I don't know very well yet. They seem to be adapting into the group of students very well and I know that they love the Lord completely. And last, but not least, we have Luis, Lance and Maricella's oldest son. He is special, I believe the Father has colossal plans for his life. He is a complete blessing to us. Not only does he speak spanish but he enjoys teaching. So we ask a million questions. I am learning a lot. Also I have been staying up much too late reading the espanol dictionary. And yes, I am having fun with it. Although, conjunctions and learning when to use certain words in the masculine or feminine form can be rather confusing. Tomorrow (monday) we have our first spanish lesson with Letty, I am SO EXCITED! She will be going through the basics with us for two hours every monday. I can't wait, it is very difficult being the foreigner, I never quite understood it like I do now.
Well, tomorrow marks the first day of the second week of school. Nate says it is going very well and the students are learning and growing a lot. On Saturday evening Luis, Austin and Chris decided they wanted to be baptized so we all piled in the van and went to the beach. It was incredible and totally surreal, no words can describe the power in what our Father can do. He is Daddy, He is Jehovah, He is the King and He cares for us. I think I will stop there and sleep on that.

Dios te bendiga.
Te quieros todos.

No comments:

Post a Comment